Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jurraisic Jerk with a Side of Slaw

I have a confession to make.

Over the last year, chicken has become less and less appetizing to me. I still cook it weekly for dinner but a slow ever growing repulsion resides in my tummy.

Why?

Well, one day when I was looking at a live chicken, I realized that chickens look like baby dinosaurs. That thought promptly spiraled into the notion that dinosaurs are related to lizards.

I don't want to eat a lizard OR a baby dinosaur but when I eat chicken I am kind of doing that (give or take a few evolutions across the millenniums).

I shared this culinary crisis with my husband. He looked at me, vaguely smiled and returned to his book. A talent that has kept our marriage afloat for twenty years.

Today I checked out the weekly update on the beloved blog Blue Kitchen. I love the way Terry writes about food and his recipes rock. Please check his blog out - it's listed to the right in my blog roll.

I dove into the archives and read his first post (November 1, 2006). It's a lovely commentary on a dish called Chicken and Wine. In the post, he makes a light hearted reference to the theory that the chicken is a distant relative to the dinosaur. My heart stopped. I then went online to learn more.

The arguments are never ending. But that's a good thing. Because it leaves me with a sliver of hope that the chicken was God's only attempt at intelligent design.

Case closed.

4 comments:

jodi said...

I like the line that starts with "A talent . . ." Makes me laugh. I don't buy raw, whole chicken anymore. Buy it already cooked. The dinosaur thing doesn't bother me. It is now the touching of something raw.

east village idiot said...

Jodi - thanks for making me feel less alone in my chicken issues!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

How funny, evi! As I started to read this piece, I actually thought of my post and my comment about chickens and dinosaurs. And then there you are, referencing it! We're major science geeks at our house (one of our daughters is interning at the Field Museum this summer in the ornithology department). So connections like this fascinate us, rather than repelling us. I do hope you make your peace with chicken--it really can be quite tasty. And thank you so much for the shout out.

Dr. Deb said...

I am slowly losing my taste for any of the living creatures - vegetables aside.