Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...

I hope that everyone reading this post has enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing holiday. It's taken me 47 years to figure out how to do it but we've arrived.

We began Christmas Eve at the Christmas pageant at St. Luke's Church - Ben's old school chapel and my church. Was it only four years ago that Ben was one of the "we-three-kings"? It was a crisp night. The streets were wet with the fading signs of snow and drizzle that made the lights of the City glisten even more.

New York is good at making its way through the winter. And fabulous at Christmas.

We then ventured onward from the West Village to Chelsea to the home of my dear friends L and C. Each Christmas Eve, they throw a wonderful gathering for their neighborhood friends that includes the best Tex-Mex food I've ever had. It is so great to be at a party with people of all ages and walks of life. It felt like the City at its best.

After we said our goodbyes, I stepped outside and looked up to see the nearby Empire State Building in all its Christmas glory looking down on me. It felt like the embrace of an old friend. My first Christmas gift -- and it was a beauty.

We got home at midnight and fell fast asleep...even Santa couldn't wake us up.

1 comment:

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Nice, nice post, evi! You have a knack for making me homesick for the hometown I've never actually lived in. I hope 2010 is a stellar year for you and yours and me and mine.