Saturday, August 27, 2005

Deja Vu All Over Again

I have a confession to make.

I have difficulty sorting through my summer vacation pictures because we do the same things in the same place over and over again. My only time indicator is Benjamin growing faster than a vine each year.

So far we’ve had eight sunny days with beautiful sunsets. Each morning we usually climb down the dunes of Longnook Beach for a few hours of hippie dippie fun by the ocean. Should I be happy or concerned that we see seals along the shore more and more each year?

Then it’s home for a simple lunch. Afterwards we go our separate ways to goof off (write, draw, play guitar, bike, hone our action hero skills). In mid afternoon we go to the bay beaches where the water is much calmer and Benjamin sometimes finds a friend or two to play with.

A few nights a week we go into Wellfleet to visit used book stores and eat ice cream by the pier. In Provincetown we walk down Commercial Street and check out the drag queens promoting their night club acts in the center of town. East end on Commercial you’ll find most of the great art galleries, west end leans more toward food, gift shops and tea dances.

Sometimes I see a version of myself walking down these same streets twenty years ago. A very different girl with a very different agenda – to say the least. She had something to smile about and so do I – some of the happiness overlaps and some doesn't.

I do miss my total lack of inhibition back then as well as my hopefulness and infatuation with life. Children reawaken that in you – if you let them.

My son is drunk with life….I have this weird feeling he’ll grow up to be Warren Beatty.

1 comment:

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

*Sigh*

I need to hone my superhero skills...it's been awhile.

Do you ever look up at the sky and make pictures with the clouds?

I like you Ben, too. Sounds like he has the same love-of-like as my Ben. :)

Hh

P.S. Come by my blog, sometime...if you have seen it, I issued you (among others a challenge.) :)