Friday, August 11, 2006

Red Alert

Liquid bombs.

What will people think of next? How do governments keep ahead of all these terrorist schemes? It's just too much.

What is motivating these rageful acts? Is it because thousands of people have died in Iraq and now one thousand in Lebanon - - and no one intervened? Is the message to these people that some lives are worth more than others? That a dead Lebanese child or Iraqi child means less than an American or an Israeli? And why are some of these Muslim sects determined to kill each other?

Why does Iran want to "wipe Israel off the face of the earth"? If I lived in Israel with my son -- how would I want my government to react to that statement with Hezbollah a stone's throw away from my door?

I wish I understood the history of the middleast better - so I could understand what motivates these actions - where the rage comes from and the desperation.

2 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I wrote a paper about the psychology of evil. I wrote it several days after 9/11. It helped me to understand why people do hateful things to other human beings. If you want I can send you my paper. It is short, a little technical, but it might be helpful.


~Deb

ellesu said...

I feel as you do. I just don't get it. I heard part of an interview with Jill Carroll where she was talking about helping the wife of one of her kidnappers. She and this woman were cooking a meal. This woman had small children yet she was saying that she wanted to be a suicide bomber.

How in God's name can we fight something like that?