Monday, August 21, 2006

Katrina

I heard that there will be a documentary on HBO in the next week or so made by Spike Lee titled The Day the Levees Broke. Wish I could catch that one but I'm far from the land of cable consciousness here in my sleepy sea village.

Maybe I still haven't gotten over reading Gone With the Wind but the more I think about it the more that the Federal response to Katrina seems like a mutation of the Reconstruction. It seems like people in New Orleans should be seething in anger at this country. That place is still a friggin hell hole. Is it because most of that city was poor and black?

And why hasn't the press stayed on it?

3 comments:

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I just found this blog doing research for my upcoming hosting gig for Pediatric Grand Rounds--and he writes about Spike Lee's movie, which you mentioned:

http://buildneworleans.blogspot.com/2006/08/spike-lees-movie.html

ellesu said...

I watched in bits and pieces. The memories hurt my heart, and I'm not from NOLA. I don't even want to try and imagine the sadness New Orleanians must feel.

I did laugh when I heard the comment about New Orleans people not venturing very far. It's true. It reminded me of a news report I heard when we were living there: Orleans parish teachers were going up to Baton Rouge for the day to lobby for 'something', at the capitol and they were told to pack a lunch and snacks. ???? BR is maybe an hour up the road but you'd of thought they were headed north to Alaska....

It's the eyes that get me. So many seem beyond tears. I see that look in too many eyes here in Baton Rouge.

east village idiot said...

I met a woman whose mom lives in New Orleans. She said that Donald Trump and other real estate moguls are buying up land there.

Is that true? are they going to turn New Orleans into a huge resort community -- instead of a real community?