Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Party On!

Yesterday was the last day of the Muslim holiday Ramadan. I'm pretty sure yesterday marked the last day of month long fasting and praying. In the morning I heard the call to prayer outside my window. The sun was rising and Muslim men were coming into the Tompkins Square Park to celebrate/pray. On the black top, long rolls of brown paper were unfurled in rows. Men would find a space and kneel down to pray aloud. There were about ten rows formed before I got on the bus to go to work. I've only seen this gathering at the park a few times since I've lived here. It's really a beautiful ritual. They were pointed east towards Mecca. It made me feel proud to be in a country and a city where people could worship and express themselves freely - let's keep it that way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your city is pretty cool.

JT said...

I love this post! I find it so stunning when I see this. (In my neighborhood the temple is too small, so they pray en masse on the sidewalk on little rugs. So moving.

(Yeah! So glad you're back EVI)

Dr. Deb said...

Freedom and acceptance.
Tolerance and inclusion.
Yeah, those are great things!

Kranki said...

That is very cool. Very.